Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Building our modern Design Studio


Entry/waiting area to the studio-

All furnishings from Ikea in Atlanta.



Entrance/Front of Studio


It may look a little residential and that was the point. I wanted something that looked
a little cottage like with lots of flowering plants.
Also if I am no longer using it for my business, it can be turned into a
residence with a little extra work.
I recently added New Dawn climbling roses on each end to grow up
the two outer columns and that will be amazing once they get some
growth and height.

Building the Studio

Studio- the siding was going on. We choose to use Hardy Plank siding.




Concrete and framing-this was an exciting day!
I was able to invision what it might look like and
walk around in the framed areas and plan details.



I put on my hard hat and was their for very step in the process of building my new floral design studio. I personally hired all the sub-contractors from contrete, to drywall, heating and air, plumbing, electrical and paint.
With the help of my dad, who did the clearing and grading and a contractor friend, I was able to save $30,000 by not hiring a general contractor.
My husband David and I actually stained the concrete floors ourselves, turned out very unique.
It took 2 months to build and we moved in Oct 2nd, 2007 just in time to work on 5 weddings all on October 20, 2007. I really don't think my brides had any idea the work load and stress I had on me. My staff and family knew but brides had no idea.

I purchased all office and waiting area furniture from Ikea, which I love. Has modern fun decor and bright colors in the entry area.
My son Trace was 2 at this time and I had 80 brides I was working with during the 10 months of planning, obtaining the permit( which held us up for months)
and I had to work from a temporary small storage building while we were building the studio.
It was cramped and small and had no running water. I had rented a different temporary place
from a supplier and after two months they decided they wanted to do event flowers and kicked us out. It was a rotten thing to do and they knew it and it was only one of many lies this supplier
would tell me.
I am thrilled with the outcome of the new studio and so thankful to have my new 1600 square foot work space. The studio is available by appointment.

I will add more photos of the other rooms in the studio a little later. Keep checking back.

2 comments:

mpcphotography said...

You go girl! That is an awesome studio!!!

SGN said...

I didn't know you had a blog until today! I'm looking forward to catching up on all your posts! Your studio looks great! Congratulations!!