Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Alabama Weddings Magazine Photo shoot for 2011. Coming soon...photo shoot for 2012.

Working with a magazine on a photo shoot is one of my favorite things as a specialty florist. I started working with Michelle Tubbs at Alabama Weddings Magazine in 2008 which was an extremely busy year for me although we specialize in only Weddings, Parties, Special Events, Weekly Corporate deliveries and choose not to operate as a full service florist which does all occasion individual deliveries like birthdays, sympathy, get well as well as weddings. The majority of my experience is from working in retail flower shops so this type of floral business was new to me but perfectly fits my style.


Our industry changed many  years ago with designers choosing to specialize in weddings and events and not operate from a full service retail floral shop. I personally choose to operate from a floral studio with all space reserved for showcasing Weddings, Parties, Special Events and Weekly Corporate deliveries. This allows me to be available to my clients by appointment. It is a more personalized consultation for the client and my focus is on only them during that appointment time. I choose how many weddings and events I want to service and this allows me to balance my personal life as a mom and wife. It is important to do a job well done while I help make wedding days beautiful, I also want my own marriage to be the best it can be and give my son a beautiful childhood. I must say I feel that my son Trace has an amazing life with adoring parents, days chasing butterflies, helping plant flowers seasonally, tending our vegetable garden, riding bicycles on a beautiful Sunday afternoon after church and snuggling while watching movies.


In addition being available by appointment allows me to travel to further my education as a floral artist. I attend annual conventions and workshops, volunteer with my state florist association, Philadelphia Flower Show and even help other retail florist at holidays in their shops on occasion. Working for other florist although I own my own studio is considered Freelancing. This is another benefit of being a studio by appointment. When florist have huge weddings it is a must to hire freelance designers. This allows any florist to take a large wedding and hire enough designers for this sometimes once in a lifetime huge wedding. Something like you would see on Platinum Weddings for sure. 

So this photo shoot took place in 2010 and was featured in 2011. When choosing our shoot location for the magazine, we looked to Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain as a destination location. We also choose this location for our 2011 shoot which will be featured in 2012 due on magazine stands in January 2012.


One of my gifts as with many florist is a passion for working with bold colors. For a photo shoot I want to
see color. As you look at the photos you will see how the space at Callaway Gardens and bold colors work wonderful together. When I speak to my brides, I state things like "that will photograph great".
The goal for a photo shoot is no different than an actual wedding. It needs to photograph well. You need details that show a style and details about the couple. Otherwise every wedding would look the same. Each brides chooses her dress, jewelry, shoes, hair style, bridesmaids dress style and color, flower style and colors, linens, venue, invitations, theme or style for decor, just to name a few and we do the same for a photo shoot.


We used many props to for this shoot which our brides can rent from us for their own wedding. Rentals include votive candle holders, paper lanterns and parasols, garden trellis, vases and flower stands.


This shoot shows a fun ceremony setting in a garden space. It is meant to be more intimate with less guest attending but still providing plenty of details. I would rather see a bride choose a smaller guest list and do everything well than have a huge guest list and skip on details.

Our model Katherine Webb is being attended to by the magazine editor Michelle Tubbs.
 For my shoots I allow the other vendors to choose their details. I choose the overall style for the shoot, location, colors and florals and the editor and stylist choose the fashion, models, hair and makeup.  

When I am planning my shoot, I must consider what has been done in the past for the magazine and think of something original to offer new ideas for the brides. I choose to use yellow sisal as a base for the mass of hot pink flowers in the models bouquet. The Japanese aster with its yellow center was a beautiful touch with the peonies. Hanging orchids and jewels are a detail touch. I love the movement and sparkle the jewels add to a bouquet as it is carried and photographed





The inspiration for the shoot was a phalaenopsis orchid with a yellow background and fuchsia veins.
I already had many of the hot pink props that were used.


For visual interest for the models all I need is a bold color pop and texture is always a bonus.
I choose yellow fuji mums to pop against the fuchsia dresses and they offer lots of texture.



 

Below is a beautiful colorful bridesmaids luncheon table setting. What a picture perfect background Callaway Gardens offers when accented with additional details. The gardens just happened to have planting in our color scheme. 


 Fun metal flowers send beautiful messages of Love, Joy, Peace and happiness to the guest. This welcomes guest as they sign the couples sign in book.

 For the brides cake Ivy Davis of Icing Illusions wanted to use butterflies and flowers all over the cake with a green background. The result couldn't be better for a Callaway Gardens weddings 



The gorgeous grooms cake designed and made by Icling Illusions. 
For the photo shoot we left this detail 
to the expert to do something special. Fresh green limes add color to the chocolate cake also accented 
with malt balls brushed with green coloring.
 

For aisle decor we used bamboo poles with fuchsia paper umbrellas accented with a single "Shocking" oriental lily stem.
 Callaway Gardens offers all the delights of a garden wedding, even this dragonfly finds a place at the ceremony. 
 More details with a fun scrolled patterned down the center of the aisle in fuchsia rose petals.

 For the reception guest tables we choose rectangle tables and created a dramatic touch by adding black
accents. So we used black plates, napkins and all  black vases for our yellow and fuchsia flowers to pop against.


 Tall narrow vases hold grouping of yellow oncidium orchids. The blooms are delicate and dance in the wind like butterflies.
 We used gloriosa lilies, japanese asters and yellow fuji mums for the shorter black vases on the tables.


I would like to thank all that helped with our photo shoot.
The models Brittany Benton, Carla Baumann Rheuby, Shelby Smelley, Katherine Webb,  Bella Bridesmaid., Alabama Weddings Magazine, Callaway Gardens, the photographers Mark and Jeanine Broadway, BBJ Linens, RSC Rental Company, Ivory White Bridal Boutique, Stationery provided by Annabelle’s, cakes by Icing Illusions, Hair & Make-up: Brittany Benton and my floral team and staff.

No comments: